Los Angeles Weather
Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:19 AM EDT on September 01, 2014
Expires 10:00 PM EDT on September 01, 2014
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect from 10 am EDT this
morning through this evening...
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents possible.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions today
include... Holland State Park... Grand Haven State Park... Pere
Marquette Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... south to southwest winds will
increase this morning and continue through the day before
diminishing this evening. This will cause waves to build to
hazardous levels for swimming of 3 to 6 feet. Conditions will
gradually improve Monday night.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new beach hazards statement...
- Alabama - Record Report
- Alaska - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Record Report
- Idaho - Record Report
- Indiana - Record Report
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Kansas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Areal Flood Warning , Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Montana - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Record Report
- Nebraska - Flood Warning , Record Report
- New Hampshire - Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Rhode Island - Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Areal Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement