Los Angeles Weather
Current Watches and Warnings
Michigan, Van Buren
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 8:53 PM EDT on July 22, 2014
Expires 8:00 AM EDT on July 24, 2014
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect from 2 am EDT
Wednesday through Thursday morning...
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents possible.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Grand Haven.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions expected
North Beach in South Haven... Holland State Park... Muskegon
State Park... Mears State Park in Pentwater... Stearns Park in
* Overview/potential impacts... winds will shift to the north
behind a cold front tonight and increase into the 15 to 30 mph
range. These winds will build waves into the 4 to 7 foot range
between St. Joe and Grand Haven during the Wednesday beach
day. Dangerous swimming conditions will be found on the north
side of piers Wednesday. The impact will be mitigated somewhat
by the fact that it will not be a great beach day with cooler
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new beach hazards statement...
- Alaska - Special Statement
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Special Statement, Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Michigan - Areal Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement, Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flash Flood Warning , Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Montana - High Wind Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Nevada - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- New Mexico - Areal Flood Advisory
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning
- Washington - Flash Flood Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report